82nd Anniversary Essay Experience Philippine University University
Asia's first American-founded institution of higher learning celebrates a milestone
This is an announcement from the Silliman University Student Government:
MANILA, Philippines – August brings a certain charge in Silliman University, a nervous excitement that emanates from the school, from the students themselves. In the hustle of anticipation, what other phenomenon is most likely to incite an electric-like current among the Sillimanians other than their school spirit.
The illustrious Silliman spirit makes itself known more vividly on the month of August, in remembrance of when Silliman University first opened its gates 114 years ago.
Silliman University in its 114th Founder’s Week Celebration has once again organized a series of events in commemoration and in festivity of the founding of the first American institution of higher learning in the Philippines and in Asia that was established in 1901. As per tradition, the Silliman University Student Government is spearheading 3 of its major activities: the Miss Silliman Pageant, the All-University Cheering Competition, and the grand Hibalag Booth Festival which will be on August 19 to 29, 2015.
Celebrations in August
The month starts with the most-awaited annual event starter in Silliman, the Miss Silliman press launch.
On August 3, 2015, Silliman University opens its gates to everyone as the Miss Silliman officially commences with a press launch held in the University’s amphitheater. Miss Silliman has been recognized to be the longest running beauty pageant of its caliber in Asia, signifying the attestation, the testimony, of the quintessence of a Silliman woman. The pre-pageant will take place at the Silliman University Luce Auditorium on August 20. The grand Miss Silliman Pageant Night will soon follow, taking up Dumaguete’s Lamberto Macias Complex on the eve of August 24.
On August 25th, the Silliman University Gymnasium will be the venue of another major highlight of the Founder’s week celebration, the Annual Silliman All-University Cheering Competition. This competition is an avenue for student performers to showcase their teamwork and discipline through creative execution and talent, and their commitment to practices and the work put in to their performances reflects their perseverance and sportsmanship as Sillimanians.
Of the whole of 10 days, starting from August 19 to August 29, 2015, Silliman University invites everyone to experience the Hibalag Booth Festival. The festival is a week-long event that complements the founding of Silliman University.
The word “hibalag” is a Visayan colloquial term that means ‘to meet up’ or ‘to gather’. A perfect choice for the assembly of multitudes that come to enjoy the Silliman Celebration and the various unique booths being set up by different colleges and organizations to promote their Silliman spirit.
Aside from these, there are also greatly anticipated events such as the Rock Against Youth Apathy (RAYA) advocacy which centers on the fight against student apathy through music. It is a band competition that has started eight years ago that bases on several youth issues, this year’s being depression. The auditions will start on August 1, 2015. The First Eliminations of the RAYA would be on the 20th of August, both would be held at Robinson’s Place, Dumaguete. For the Eliminations, bands would be performing their original compositions centered on the awareness of depression. The 2nd round of Eliminations would follow on August 22 in the HIBALAG Booth Area. The Rock Against Youth Apathy Final Night will be held at the Hibalag Booth Grounds, on August 25, 2015.
To showcase the talent and singing prowess of the students, Silliman Idol will be staged. – Rappler.com
The Silliman University Student Government is the leading organization in Silliman University that caters to the development and welfare of the students through organizing events that would encourage them to be more active and participative.
For those who are interested, you may contact:
Name: June Alexandra Torayno
Contact Number: 0936 107 2950
Email Address: email@example.com
Published 4:06 PM, August 01, 2015
Updated 11:38 AM, August 03, 2015
Pamantasang Sentral ng Pilipinas
Seal of Central Philippine University
|Latin: Universitas Centralis Philippinarum|
|Jaro Industrial School (1905–1923)|
Baptist Missionary Training School (1905–1924)
Central Philippine College (1923–1953)[a]
|Motto||Scientia et Fides (Latin)|
Motto in English
|"Knowledge and Faith"|
Nonprofit and Coeducational
|Affiliation||Baptist affiliated but independent and non-sectarian|
|President||Teodoro C. Robles (PhD, MSEE)|
|Students||14, 400 (2015– 2016) [Main Campus]|
|Location||Jaro, Iloilo City, Iloilo, Philippines|
10°43′49″N122°32′56″E / 10.73028°N 122.54889°E / 10.73028; 122.54889Coordinates: 10°43′49″N122°32′56″E / 10.73028°N 122.54889°E / 10.73028; 122.54889
|Hymn||Central, My Central|
Central Philippine University (also referred to as Central or CPU) is a privateresearch university in Iloilo City, Philippines. Established in 1905 through a grant given by the American business magnate, industrialist and philanthropist John D. Rockefeller under the auspices of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society, it is the first Baptist founded and second American university in the Philippines and Asia (after Silliman University (1901) in Dumaguete). It initially consisted of two separate schools: the Jaro Industrial School for boys and the Baptist Missionary Training School that trains ministers and other Christian workers.
In 1913, women began to be admitted to the school for boys, and in 1920 the school started offering high school education. The school for boys became a junior college and started offering college degrees in 1923 and changed its name to Central Philippine College. In 1936 the junior college became a senior college and two years after it in 1938, the Baptist Missionary Training School merged with the theology department of the college. In 1953, the college attained university status.
Iloilo Mission Hospital, the university's hospital which was established in 1901 by the Presbyterian Americans, is the first American and Protestant founded hospital in the Philippines, predating the founding of CPU by four years.
Central pioneered nursing education in the Philippines, when Presbyterian American missionaries established the Union Mission Hospital Training School for Nurses in 1906. In the same year, the CPU Republic (Central Philippine University Republic), the university's official student governing body, was organized, making it as the first established student governing body in South East Asia. Central was also the first institution to pioneer the work-study programs in the country that were later patterned and followed by other institutions.
The university maintains to be non-sectarian and independent but affiliated with the Convention of Philippine Baptist Churches and maintains fraternal ties with the International Ministries of the American Baptist Churches, known before as the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society.
CPU consists of eighteen schools and colleges that provides instruction in basic education all the way up to the post-graduate levels. In the undergraduate and graduate levels, its disciplines include accountancy, arts and sciences, business, computer studies, education, engineering, hospitality management, law, mass communication, medical laboratory science, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, lifestyle and fitness, rehabilitative science, tourism, and theology.
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED Philippines) has granted the University a full autonomous status, the same government agency that accredited some of its programs as Centers of Excellence and Centers of Development , while its has been designated through its College of Engineering as Department of Science and Technology (Philippines) School and its Civil Engineering program by the said Philippine government also as the Center for Civil Engineering Education both solely as the ones for the Western Visayas region and one of the few in the Philippines.
Central is a registered National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines. The annual prestigious national Bombo Music Festival is hosted by the university held at the Rose Memorial Auditorium. It has been designated as a Regional Art Center (or Kaisa sa Sining Regional Art Center) by the Cultural Center of the Philippines .
It has also been certified as one of the few ISO certified educational institutions in the Philippines by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). The Board of International Ministries of the American Baptist Churches likewise on the other hand, has awarded Central a School of Excellence award.
Recently, through international collaborations with other institutions, has made CPU to offer international undergraduate, graduate and doctorate extension programs in Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese universities, especially through the overseas programs offered by the university jointly with the Thai Nguyen University (TNU) and Thai Nguyen University of Economics and Business Administration (TUEBA) both in Vietnam.
Incorporation and founding
In the early 20th century when the Philippines was opened to the American Protestant missionaries prior and after the Philippines was ceded by Spain to the United States through the 1898 Treaty of Paris after the Spanish–American War, a comity agreement by the Protestant American churches was established that the Philippine islands will be divided into mission territories, thus the Western Visayan region went to the jurisdiction of the Baptists.
The origins of Central Philippine University dates back in 1901 when the American Northern Baptists, through its foreign mission board, the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society, laid a plan to establish mission schools following the comity agreement of the division of the islands for the evangelical mission and through a benevolent grant given by John D. Rockefeller, an American industrialist and philanthropist.John D. Rockefeller himself was a devoted Northern Baptist with numerous church related philanthropy works throughout his life, that is why he gave a grant to the Northern Baptists that resulted in the establishment of Central.
On the other hand, in 1901 also, four years before the founding of Central in 1905, alongside when the American Baptists came in Iloilo, the Presbyterians came and they established the Union Mission Hospital (where Central, since its founding until to this day is closely associated with) under the Presbyterian Church in America by Joseph Andrew Hall as the first Protestant and American hospital in the islands. The hospital was later renamed to Union Hospital and later to its present name, Iloilo Mission Hospital. Following the years since its founding, it was then transferred to the care and administration of the Baptists who also bought the land in the City of Jaro (now part and a district of Iloilo City) where the hospital now stands. The hospital predates the schools founding by four years. It also serves since then as the hospital of Central.
Then in 1903, there will be two schools that will be established by the mission: an industrial school for boys and a Bible school to train pastors and other Christian workers was incorporated. Later, it was voted on 2 December 1904 to finally establish the both schools. The task to found both schools was given to William O. Valentine, an American missionary, who became the first principal and president with the help of the other co-founders. Valentine was in the service of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society, where he first ministered as a missionary in Burma, first in Rangoon, then in Mandalay, where he became the principal of the Baptist Mission High School for Boys in 1895. The new mission was given to him by the mission society in 1903. During his eighth year in Burma he suffered severe sunstroke and returned to America for treatment. There he met his future wife, nurse Ina Jane Van Allen. Valentine and Van Allen were married in 1903 and the couple left for his new appointment in Iloilo in the Philippines.
The establishment of the Baptist Missionary Training School and the Jaro Industrial School is associated with the first Baptist Church in the Philippine Islands, the Jaro Evangelical Church, which was established in 1900 by the Northern American Baptists also, now the American Baptist Churches. In June 1905, the Baptist Missionary Training School opened in the home of the Valentines, under the auspices of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society from the United States alongside with other missionaries that are considered as co-founders. There were 12 pupils with some "Bible Women" who attended as auditors.
The benevolent grant given by the industrialist and oil magnateJohn D. Rockefeller, was used to provide the school the facilities during the school's establishment along with the industrial school (which was later established in the fall of 1905) and to purchase a 24-hectare piece of land in the City of Jaro (now a part of Iloilo City) where Central's main campus is located at present.
In the fall of 1905, the Jaro Industrial School was opened as a free vocational boarding school for poor boys. The first class consisted of 20 boys who worked four hours a day to pay their tuition, room and board, and spent four hours in the classroom. One of the school's innovations was the adoption of student self-government, the first in the South East Asia, known today as Central Philippine University Republic, which is modeled on American civil government. Dr. William Orison Valentine, worked for its incorporation and recognition by the Philippine Government. A year later when Jaro Industrial School was established, one of the school's innovations was the adoption of student self-government which is modeled on American civil government, the Jaro Industrial School Republic. The Republic continues to this day as the Central Philippine University Republic. It still holds the distinction as the oldest student governing body in South East Asia. The original purpose of the founding of the industrial school for boys was quoted a century later in 2005 during the centennial celebrations of the university:
"The original purpose of the school (Jaro Industrial School) was to provide opportunity for poor Filipino boys to receive a good Christian education by working their way through school. Actual work experience and earnest study of the Bible were the core of the curriculum."
Later the leadership of the Bible School was turned over to the Rev. Henry Munger, who conducted classes off campus. In 1907, Reverend William Valentine became and tenured again as head of the Jaro Industrial School. By 1907 during his term, there were 300 boys working an active farm and in various trades. All of this students were required to live on campus. In 1907 also, the Bible School split off under a separate principal, Dr. Eric Lund. Classes were held at the Mission Press building where Lund was doing his Scripture translation work.
In 1910, independent student media at the Jaro Industrial School created the first official student publication, The Hoe (the present Central Echo). It is now one of the oldest student publications in the Philippines.
In 1912, Dr. Lund left the Baptist Missionary Training School and it was closed. Following that year, in 1913, Dr. Valentine's objectives were realized and in the same year the Jaro Industrial School also admitted its first female student; it was fully incorporated then by the Philippine government and enrolled 740 students. Then in 1915, Jaro Industrial School opened its first high school program, starting with first and second year classes, adding third and fourth year classes in 1920. As the both two schools were founded by the Northern American Baptists from the American Baptist Churches, ordination for women is affirmed that resulted and eventually in 1917, the Jaro Industrial School elected its first female head and Principal, Mary J. Thomas, who tenured as a Principal of the Jaro Industrial School from 1917 to 1918. The Baptist Missionary Training School later however was reopened in 1913 by Rev. Alton Bigelow. It was under Rev. Alton Bigelow's leadership that the Bible School began to have a definite direction in its development. In 1921, the following year after the Jaro Industrial School added fourth year high school classes, the school graduated its first high school batch.
The first Board of Trustees which was formed a year earlier before the founding of the two schools, is composed of five members from the mission conference which are selected by the mission conference in annual session. They remained American in composition until prior to the conversion of the Jaro Industrial School as a junior college. In the early years of the school's operation, building up qualified faculty and staff had been a great challenge. Some missionaries gave part-time service and Dr. David S. Hibbard, founder of the Silliman Institute, now Silliman University, also provided Filipino instructors who had trained at Silliman Institute.
To accommodate the need for tertiary education in the area, a junior college was opened in 1923 and the name of the school was changed to Central Philippine College. In April of the following year, the Baptist Missionary Training School became an organic part of the junior College. The senior college opened in 1936 and by 1940 five degrees were offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Theology and Bachelor of Religious Education.
When the junior college became a senior college in 1936, the College of Engineering was also established. In 1938, Baptist Missionary Training School (BMST) for women which was established independently in 1907, became part of the theology department of the college. In the same year also, students and interested sectors of the school began to press for the opening of a law school. Finally, on 18 March 1939, the Board of Trustees voted to apply for a permit to offer the first two years of the law course. It opened in the school year 1939–1940. Attorney Pablo Oro, who had been one of the leaders in urging this move and in seeking patrons to help develop the law library, was given the responsibility for developing the program. Pablo Oro, a member of the Philippine Bar, was a graduate of Silliman University and of the University of Manila College of Law.
World War II
See also: Hopevale Martyrs
Academic life in the campus was interrupted when invading Japanese forces landed in Iloilo. As a consequence of the invasion, missionaries assigned at Central fled and took refuge in the mountain barrios of Katipunan, Tapaz, Capiz. They hid in the forest they called "Hopevale" with the help of their Filipino friends. But soon they fell and were captured by the Japanese troops on 19 December 1943. The missionaries begged them to free the Filipino captives and instead offered themselves as ransom. At the dawn of 20 December 1943, the missionaries asked to be allowed to pray and, an hour later, they told their Japanese captors they were ready to die. The adults were beheaded and the children were bayoneted.
The missionaries who died in the massacre are today called the Hopevale Martyrs. The martyrs are: Dr. Francis Howard Rose (former President and head of Central), Jeanie Clare Adams, Prof. James Howard Clovell, Charma Moore Clovell, Dorothy Antoinette Dowell, Signe Amelia Erikson, Dr. Frederick Willer-Meyer, Ruth Schatch Meyer, Gertrude Coombs Rose, Rev. Erle Frederich Rounds, Louise Cummings Rounds, and Erle Douglas. Despite the order that these Americans should go home because of the war, they refused to leave their mission and eventually sacrificed their lives.
Post-war years and reconstruction
After the war ended, the college was reopened by the remaining members of the faculty and by returning missionaries. When the Second World War broke out, the college's buildings were destroyed. Reconstruction was made possible through funds from friends at home and abroad.
The college's Graduate School was formally opened in 1951 with Dr. Linnea A. Nelson as dean. Dr. Nelson, holder of an Ed.D degree from the University of California, Berkeley, had been a missionary in China from 1935 to 1949. Since its founding, the graduate school has been chosen by the fund for Assistance to Private Education (FAPE) as a graduate center for MBA, MA in English and Master of Engineering for the following fields of specialization: civil engineering, chemical engineering, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering.
When the war ended, Dr. Henry S. Waters, the postwar director of Iloilo Mission Hospital and also principal of the Iloilo Mission Hospital School of Nursing in 1946–1947, pressed for the offering, with Central Philippine College (the forerunner of Central Philippine University), a collegiate course leading to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. The director of the Bureau of Private Schools and the members of the board of examiners for nurses authorized the opening of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing four-year course in 1947 that resulted the school's operation transferred to the College.
Dr. Waters served as acting dean of the new College of Nursing at Central Philippine College (1947–1948). When he returned to the United States, Dr. Teofilo Marte served as the executive secretary (1948–1949). Loreto D. Tupaz, who finished her Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree at CPU, was the acting dean from 1949 to 1950 and served in this capacity until the arrival of Esther Salzman, Master of Science in Nursing and an American Baptist Foreign Mission Society missionary nurse, who held the deanship from 1950 to 1961. During her term, the college offered three curricular programs: the Bachelor of Science in Nursing four-year course, the GN-Bachelor of Science in Nursing Supplemental Course and the Bachelor of Science in Nursing five-year course.
Tupaz and Salzman worked together to develop Central Philippine College of Nursing (later the Central Philippine University College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences) into a college of distinction, recognized both in the Philippines and abroad. Salzman served as dean until 1961 when she retired in the United States. Lily Plagata, MSN, was appointed to the deanship (1961–1974). When she resigned and went abroad, she was replaced by Carmen Centeno, Master of Science, for the remaining months of 1963. Centeno, however, also left for the United States, and Loreto D. Tupaz, who finished her MA degree at CPU, resumed the deanship (1963–1970), assisted by Maria Pablico, MSN (1969–1970). Pablico also resigned to work in the United States from 1963–1973. Tupaz continued to administer the three course programs of the college, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing five-year course, the CCT (Clinical Teaching) course, and the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Supplemental Course.
On 1 April 1953, the college gained government recognition and was given a university charter, converting the college into what is now known as the Central Philippine University.
In July 1955, the Hon. Robert Simmons, the former Chief Justice of the Nebraska State Court, visited the campus and lectured to the students. He became very much interested in the former law school Dean Atty. Pablo Oro and the College of Law. Justice Simmons gave generous support to the law school's library and encouraged his friends and colleagues to do the same.
In 1965, Central's College of Engineering offered a one-year Sanitary engineering course with three graduates. One could only enroll in this course after completing the Civil Engineering course. However, this restriction was abolished later due to an insufficient number of enrollees. In 1956, after three years when the college received a university charter from the Philippine government, the first female President, Linnea A. Nelson, was elected.
On the other hand, Linnea Nelson became the first female university president, she was the person behind the establishment of the School of Graduate Studies back in 1951, where she was the first dean of the school. Nelson is an Ed.D degree holder from the University of California, Berkeley, and had been a missionary in China from 1935 to 1949. She served as the president of Central from 1956–1957 and was again re-elected in 1965–1966.
From its founding, Filipinos were gradually given larger responsibilities in its administration. In 1966 the first Filipino president, Dr. Rex D. Drilon, a CPU alumnus and a Political Scientist from the University of the Philippines Diliman, was elected. Dr. Drilon began initiatives for the Filipinization of the university, and made a trip to the United States for the purpose. The American Baptist Foreign Mission Society consented to transfer the multi-million University properties to the Filipinos in consonance with the Foreign Mission policy of "Americans receding and Filipinos advancing". Thus, in 1968 the entire university property – land, buildings, and equipment – was turned over by the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society to the Filipino corporation of CPU. Since 1973, all members of the Board of Trustees and administrative officials of the university have been Filipinos.
1990s to recent history
In 1998 until 2008, the 3rd Filipino president of the university, Dr. Juanito Acanto term was dubbed as Years of Bliss: Years of Fulfillment, where academic and infrastructural developments flourished in the university, through help from the alumni. It was in his term also, when the university started a goal to raise 100 million Php and as planned, the campaign started in September 2001 until December 2005. The CPU Centennial Development Fund alone raised a total of 75,000,000 pesos from 182 Endowment programs. The helpful endeavor through other endowment fund programs, which started years back, was intensified and is still ongoing, with a total of 433 Endowment Funds, amounting to 127,500,000 pesos until May of his last year term as the university president in 2007; celebrated its centennial year in 2005, where thousands of alumni from the world came home. The university's centennial celebration and followed by the foundation day on 1 October owes a lot to the American founders and missionaries who founded and sacrificed for Central, especially to the Reverend William Valentine, the founding father of the institution.
Iloilo Mission Hospital, the university hospital of Central in 2001, celebrated its centennial, commemorating its century of existence and its contribution since its founding in 1901 to the Philippine and American colonial history in the Philippines and in Asia as it pioneered the Nursing education in the Philippines, as the first Protestant founded hospital in the country and the second American hospital in Asia. The centennial building was inaugurated in the hospital area proper and the hospital acquisition of the Philips MX8000 CT Scan machine, the first of its kind in South East Asia
Augmented amounts from the Centennial Development Fund and the help of various individuals, was used to build and expand the various structures on the main campus, such as the Dr. Alfonso A. Uy – Student Union Building, a four-storey commercial building built through the fund and by Dr. Alfonso A. Uy (an alumnus of the University) on the campus, to help augment its operational expenses, and to further raise its financial base; CPU Lifestyle Learning Center (prior to the students and the people who wanted to manage their fitness lifestyle); and the CPU Alumni Promenade and Concert Park, which is structurally attached to the also newly built CPU Alumni Center, CPU Alumni Affairs Office, Educational Media Center (where the CPU TV Channel and Radio broadcasts still to this day) and the CPU Dining Hall, and the CPU Excel Center.
Also, in the school year 2000–2001, witnessed the birth of yet another course born into the university's Central Philippine University College of Engineering – the Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering. This has earned the College another place in Engineering History in the Philippines. It is the first engineering school in the country to offer the course. On 15 August 2001 also, Dr. Ted Robles (BSEE 1964) (the present university president) and a former Milwaukee School of Engineering professor conducted a national seminar on a digital logic software known as the Altera Max + Plus II which was attended by different engineering schools in the Philippines and hosted by the Electrical Engineering and Electronics and Communications Engineering department of Central Philippine University College of Engineering.
The College of Engineering hosted the first-ever National Congress on Civil Engineering. Then, a seminar workshop was held featuring Dr. Stephen Agunlana from Asian Institute of Technology as guest professor. This was followed by the two more Civil Engineering Seminars, this time featuring alumni, namely, Asian Institute of Technology based Engr. Henry Abiera (College Alumnus) on Geotechnical engineering, and Engr. Vicente Golveo (BSCE 1957) from the United States of America on Structural Engineering. Seminars on Instrumentation and Micro Controllers were undertaken with Dr. Teodoro Robles (College of Alumnus and present university president), also from the United States of America, as resource person.
One of the other prominent infrastructural developments during Dr. Juanito Acanto's term as a president, is the establishment of the university's own Television Channel, the CPU TV Channel. The television channel, launched in 2001 under its former names, EXCEL TV, then was changed to CPU Alumni Channel in 2005, and to CPU TV Channel, is the first university–based cable TV channel in Asia, is one big leap in upholding the university's standard in quality education through the use of mass media. There were various new real properties also that is owned by the University when he was in his term as the President. The 24 hectares San Rafael Agricultural Land and the 14 hectare Guimaras Agricultural Land
Central gained much attention and was lauded by various business and technology sectors in the field of Engineering, through its pioneer Packaging Engineering program and department in the College of Engineering, being the first such in the country and in Asia, organized and hosted the first National Conference in Transport Packaging in 2007 it was then followed also by the first Philippine International Packaging Conference, the Global Pack 2012. Thomas Schneider, President and CEO of the 51-member nation World Packaging Organization, is one of the delegates of the Global Pack 2012 event alongside with various persons from other countries, government agencies and business sector. Alongside with the Global Pack 2012 conference, a packaging engineering testing center and laboratory and value-added facility of a UN-compliant and comprehensive was donated by US Packaging Hall of Famer and Department of Science and Technology (DOST-Philippines) Balik Scientist Dr. Lejo Brana, is also the first of its kind in the Southeast Asian region, the CPU Philippine Center for Packaging Engineering and Technology (CPU-PC PET). The Center is backed by the Philippine- Department of Science and Technology, the industry's Packaging Institute of the Philippines and a private sector's packaging advocate, Systemat-PackEDGE.
The University currently expanded its numbers of programs in business, agriculture, and medical and health sciences and the recent re-establishment of the pharmacy department. The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), prior to the University as an ISO Certified Institution, recently conducted an external audit and surveillance for the University's renewal of ISO certification, based on the new standard. The University last upgraded its certification last 2010. The said University's certification, covers educational and support which is up to year 2013. Recently, through international collaborations with other institutions has made CPU to offer undergraduate programs in Business Administration and Accountancy, graduate programs in Business Administration and Public Administration, and doctorate degree in Management program at Thai Nguyen University (TNU) and Thai Nguyen University of Economics and Business Administration (TUEBA) both in Vietnam.
The university acquired also a Level IV accreditation status (the highest level of accreditation that could be given to an individual academic program in the Philippines) from Association of Christian Schools, Colleges and Universities (ACSCU) in the programs of Business Administration, Accountancy and Education, among others, has made it the top university in the Western Visayan region with programs that has a said accreditation status and level. It ranks first in the Philippines in terms of tertiary academic programs with Level III level status. The university also ranks first among other universities based on Centers of Development and Excellence list in Western Visayas, where six of its programs designated by the Commission on Higher Education (Philippines) as Centers of Development and Center of Excellence, while Department of Science and Technology (Philippines) designated its Civil Engineering program as Center for Civil Engineering Education. Central is one of the two leaders in the Visayas and Mindanao based on endowment funding, with 182 Endowment programs and a total of 433 Endowment funds in 2007 that is still on-going and expanding still to this day.
The CPU's main campus sits on a 24 hectare (59.30 acres) of land in the former city of Jaro which is now a district of Iloilo City. The main campus's essential location is laid back and urban yet away from the distraction of the progressive bustling city center and metropolis of Iloilo, which has been dubbed as the Asia's City of Love or City of Love and Emerging Museum City of the Philippines. Iloilo City is the last capital of Spanish Empire in Asia and the Pacific hence the Spanish influence could be seen elsewhere especially in culture, but during the onset years of university's founding, it had been quite a struggle but it carried thouroughly with the help and auspices of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society. Central was established and the grant that was given by the American industrialist and philanthropist John D. Rockefeller was vital in purchasing a piece of land that the present main campus now stands. The main campus is a veritable community by itself dotted by Acacia and Palm trees with more than 30 buildings that dates back in the early years of Central's founding. The main campus plan follows a typical American university and is flanked by various gates. The second gate is the main entrance and bares the University's motto, Scientia et Fides which in English means Knowledge and Faith. Central is a registered National historical landmark by the Philippine government cultural agency of National Historical Commission of the Philippines. Some buildings on the main campus dates back during the early American occupation of the Philippines and characterizes American colonial architecture. Central has been declared by the local government unit of Iloilo City as Tourist site and is the only university in the Western Visayas region recommended for tourists as a place of interest, attraction and landmark to visit by the largest travel site in the world, the Trip Advisor. Central has been also hailed as the second of all the 18 beautiful college campuses in the Philippines by an American internet media company BuzzFeed.
By order, the University Church is the tallest building on the main campus and meant by the planners as a "central and dominant feature" of the main campus proper. The church is notable noted for its Indonesian or Malay design and is a famous landmark in Iloilo City. Henry Luce III Library is one of the largest libraries in the Philippines with more than a quartered of a million volume holdings. Inside the Henry Luce III Library is the Meyer Asian Collection holdings of artifacts and other museum and art exhibitions.
Other buildings on the main campus include the famous Rose Memorial Auditorium or Rose. Rose was built to replace the old Rose Memorial Hall which was burned down by fire in 1991. The Rose Memorial Auditorium is the largest theater in Western Visayas and has been a famous venue for different international and local kinds of musical and band concerts and conventions in Iloilo. Rose is the annual venue of the prestigious national Bombo Music Festival. Recently, the Cultural Center of the Philippines has designated the Rose Memorial Auditorium for three-year Memorandum of Understanding, as one of the first batch of nine Cultural Center of the Philippines Regional Art Centers or Kaisa sa Sining Regional Art Centers in 2014, which is the only one in Western Visayas region.